10 Things you May
not know about bees
1. To make one pound of honey, bees must gather nectar from two million flowers.
2. One bee has to fly about 90,000 miles – three times around the globe – to make one pound of honey.
3. On average a honey bee will spend its entire life making 1/12th of a teaspoon of honey.
4. A colony of bees consists of 20,000-60,000 honey bees and one queen.
5. Worker honey bees are female, live for about 6 weeks and do all the work.
6. A honey bee visits 50 to 100 of the same type of flower during a collection trip.
7. A honey bee can fly for up to six miles, and as fast as 15 miles per hour.
8. Honey bees communicate with one another by dancing.
9. The queen bee can live up to 5 years and is the only bee that lays eggs. She lays up to 2500 eggs per day.
10. Larger than the worker bees, the male honey bees (also called drones), have no stinger and do no work. All they do is mate. The female bees will kick them out when winter comes.